Looking back to how I felt after having Boris couldn't be more different to how I feel after having Biscuit. Boris was born in hospital and I came home feeling very sorry for myself indeed, but after a wonderful home birth experience with Biscuit I feel totally different, good, happy even. I would even go as far as to say that I enjoyed it if you can believe that! I felt so much more in control and empowered by the whole thing and used positive thinking and breathing to get through the pain, I was lucky that it was quick, I was able to walk around, pee when I wanted, make as much noise as I liked and the little man came out in one contraction, I couldn't have asked for a better experience and am so thankful it went well.
For me, the things that really made a difference were:
- Knowing what to expect, (I didn't convince myself that it wasn't going to hurt this time!)
- Re-reading Ina May's guide to Childbirth (reminded me that my body was designed to do this, and remembered her mantra of "The creator is not a careless mechanic")
- Using positive visualization (I pictured myself breathing the ocean in and out to help with the breathing, but it also made me feel powerful)
- Being at home (sounds obvious but it meant I didn't have the inhibitions I had at hospital, I could totally be like a wild woman)
- Having a midwife who didn't interfere (this was pure luck, but she other than telling me how the labor was progressing, she did nothing which was exactly what I wanted)
- Saying positive words (I told myself to relax, told the baby to move down, said positive words like "love" and "relax")
It was also incredible nice to be able to have a shower in my own bathroom, a cup of tea in my own mug and the first day with my new baby in my own bed.
Hopefully in the coming weeks I will be able to share a few more "fun things to do with toddlers" posts as well as a few "fun things to do with newborns" or something of that nature. (We are having a lot of fun with fiber optics at the moment!) You can forget all about book reviews as I have no time for reading! And cooking is out of the window at the moment, thankfully we have a freezer full of yummies and a cupboard full of tinned food! Thanks to some lovely friends and the supermarket home delivery!
I really hope you will stick around to continue sharing my journey.