Tuesday 6 August 2013

Zesty Beetroot Chutney

This post was first published on Serendipity Child on 08/09/2012, this year I have grown my own beetroot at the allotment specifically for this recipe, I can't wait for them to be grown and I can make some, it is delicious with cheese on toast:

We often end up with a glut of vegetables in our fruit boxes (which is one of the reasons we aren't getting it any more) and a few weeks ago we had one too many beetroot, along with a growing collection of empty jars I was inspired to make some chutney.  I find that beetroot can be a bit muddy tasting sometimes, even when fresh, and don't even get me started on the picked variety, yuck!  So I was pleasantly surprised to find that this recipe transformed the beetroot into delicious fruity chutney that goes perfectly with cheese on toast. 


You can find the full recipe here,

1 1/2kg beetroot trimmed and peeled and chopped,
3 onions chopped,
3 eating apples peeled and cored and chopped,
Zest and juice of 3 oranges,
2 tbsp white or yellow mustard seeds, 
1 tbsp coriander seeds,
1 tbsp ground cloves,
1 tbsp ground cinnamon,
700ml red wine vinegar,
700g granulated sugar.




Mix ingredients together in a pan and cook until the beetroot is tender and the mixture parts when you run and spoon along the base of the pan,
Sterilise jars then put the chutney into the jars.
Eat! (It gets better with age.)



2 comments: