Thursday 28 May 2015

Lion King Week - Day 4

Back in the summer last year Boris was mad on The Lion King film so I thought it would be fun to do a Lion King themed week for him with lots of sensory activities and fun things to do.  I didn't get round to posting about it at the time because it was a big project and I just never seemed to find the time to gather and edit all the photos. 
I have finally found the motivation to share it with you, (probably because I have been really lacking in activities for the boys recently so have nothing else activity-wise to share)  so here is it.  7 days of our activities to take you through the week.

Today I created an invitation to play using corn meal for edible sand, coconut shells, dried laves and feathers.  I had in my mind the scene from The Lion King when the Baboon Rafiki realises that Simba is alive.  He gathers dust leaves and feathers from the wind and swishes them around in a tortoise shell. He breaks open some fruit which has a coconut type shell.  I put everything into a large under-the-bed storage box in the garden. 


The main purpose of this task, apart from, of course, having fun, was as a sensory experience.  Running the sand through their fingers, scooping with with the coconut shells, exploring the way the sand and the feathers feel, crunching the leaves, feeling the softness of the feathers etc. 




There is also the fine motor skills development potential, with picking up the feathers and leaves and moving things around.




Boris spent a long time running the sand through his fingers and pouring it with the coconut shells.


It was a very calming and relaxing activity. 


Join me again for another Lion King themes activity tomorrow evening. Don't forget you can subscribe by email to my posts (on the right had side) and you can like my facebook page to keep up to date with posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment