Saturday 6 September 2014

Fun things to do with toddlers - A week of activities!

We've been busy!  it's been a fun and activity filled summer, here are some of the things we have been doing in a bumper week of fun toddler activities. 

Ice play - Way back in 2013 I put an ice cream container filled with water, stones, twigs and herbs into the freezer and there is sat for 12 loooong months until one hot and sunny day in August when I remembered it, got it out and smashed it to smithereens on the patio!

It looked beautiful, you could see through the ice to the objects within, suspended in frozen animation like a time capsule of the previous year.


Boris had a poke around with a trowel; this activity needs careful supervision to make sure shards or ice aren't flying near eyes. I helped him to smash it up to get the the objects inside. (I think I may have used a hammer)


Biscuit was intrigued as well and picking up the ice and pushed it around. The smell of the mint that was frozen inside was amazing!  I couldn't believe how well the sent was preserved in the ice, not only stimulating the sense of touch but also the sense of smell and taste!


A great thing to suck on on a hot day.



Do you have a back log of toddler activities?  Feel free to share a link in the comments, we can have a link party!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Helen. I just saw your comment on Disney's blog and wondered where you lived as I have been concerned for her too and am glad she had posted again. I live in Australia and am a nanna to two girls aged 4 and 5 and a new bub who will make his appearance in December who will be called Isaiah James. So it is all starting over for my girl....back to nappies, toilet training etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nanna, thanks so much for visiting my blog, I have been following Disney's blog since 2009 and hers was the first blog I ever read and who inspired me to write a blog too, my first blog was www.serendipitychild.blogspot.com. How lovely to be a Nanna to three, you are very lucky.

      Delete